Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Potential and circumstance

Yesterday I had lunch with a colleague who is based in a third world country in the region. Apart from complaining about the dirt, grime and the constant feeling of being sick because of the polluted environment, she said something which struck me very deeply about fate, circumstance and justice.

Another colleague of mine, who was present at the lunch, asked her: "Do you think this country will progress? Do you feel optimistic?"

My third-world based colleague said yes. She believes that this country could only progress. After 10 years of democracy, they seem to get their act together. Peace has been achieved. While economic progress has been bumpy, the general consensus among businessmen has been that it is a good place to do business. Costs are low, labour is plentiful and people are hungry. They just want a better lives for themselves.

In the same breath however, she also said that she was glad she wasn't a resident of this country. That's because there is simply no social mobility there. If you are a farmer, you stay a farmer. Even if you are a genius. Relating the example of her language teacher, she said her teacher was a brilliant woman, very sharp, very smart, probably more able than my friend herself. But she could only look forward to being a language teacher for the rest of her life. She didn't have a degree, no opportunities to develop her talent.

"I love to interact with the people there. Do business with them, get involved and learn about their culture. But you know what, I'm glad I hold the red passport. Because once things turn sour there, I can run back here. And I will run very fast because things turn shitty very quickly, once the crap hits the fan," she said.

-----------------

I am in a good job that pays pretty well. I don't think I'm particularly very bright. I'm not a world beater but I'm not daft either. But I've had enough opportunities in my life, which I've taken advantage, to bring me to where I am. I am sure that there are many brighter smarter people in countries poorer than here. But they will probably never see nor enjoy the creature comforts that I do, simply because they were born there, and I here.

Many people have said that the yoke of the peasant was thrown off when the Dark Ages ended. Enlightenment, they said, brought the individual into focus, and placed him on a pedestal. No longer are you bound by your status in life when you were born. If you had brains and ability as well as a pinch of hard work, you could make something of yourself.

This rings hollow in countries, especially poorer countries. Even in poorer countries where democracy has taken root. You may have the vote but not the dollar.

Wealth and not liberty is what frees people from their bonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment